I’ve got a serious sweet tooth but as we all know refined sugar is seriously bad for you. So to indulge my sweet tooth I spent some time in the kitchen experimenting with healthy cakes. What I’ve found works well is replacing caster sugar with a mix of coconut sugar and agave nectar. And to lower the content of bad fat (ie butter) I used coconut oil. These healthy cakes are light, sweet and tasty but without all the bad stuff. Enjoy!
Healthy Cakes: Date and Cinnamon Muffins
- 250g Self Raising Flour
- 100ml Coconut Oil
- 150g Coconut Sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- handful of Chopped Dates
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- In a bowl, mix together the sugar, agave and coconut oil.
- Once combined add in the eggs and mix until combined.
- Gradually add in the flour.
- Add the vanilla, cinnamon and dates.
- Mix fully until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased cupcake tray.
- Place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
Voila! They’re ready. These are a great mid-morning treat and they travel well so why not treat your workmates.